It won't be a Fright Night or a Delight Night. After all, it's in the afternoon. But the Bohart...
Bohart Museum senior museum scientist Steve Heydon with his Pteromalids or jewel wasps. (Photo by Kathy Keatley Garvey)
The spotted cucumber beetle is a pest of pumpkins and other members of the cucurbits family. Here it's attacked by an assassin bug. (Photo by Kathy Keatley Garvey)
Exotic water primroses (Ludwigia spp.) are aggressive invaders in both aquatic and riparian...
As part of the addition of the Santa Cruz County Behavioral Health facility next to our Cooperative Extension office in Watsonville, a big mural was added to the exterior wall of our auditorium. As you can see, this mural painted by local artist Bruce Harman, is really nice. A view of the ocean through the rendition of a butterfly. If you've been to any of our beaches in the evening or the morning, it'll bring you back.
Coupled with the aromatherapy garden in front of the mural planned out by our own Monterey Bay Master Gardeners, this has really become a nice little corner of our city.
Thanks Santa Cruz County!
Mural on exterior wall of our UCCE auditorium. Aromatherapy garden planned by Monterey Bay Master Gardeners in front.
Beach view of the Monterey Bay through trompe d'oeil rendition of butterfly.
Soil Health & Cover Crop Field Day
Date: October 31, 2019
Time: 8:30 AM - 11:00 AM
Contact: Alli Rowe, firstname.lastname@example.org
Sponsor: UCCE Ventura
Location: Hansen Agricultural Research and Extension Center
Come gather around a cover crop demonstration for a discussion on cover crop seed selections, appropriate mixes for different cropping systems, and management issues. Other soil health topics include compost applications, Healthy Soils grant opportunities, and technical assistance availability.
This event is free and open to anyone interested in soil health. Please spread the word! Register here
8:30 –9:00 Registration
9:00 –10:45 Rotate through stations to learn about cover crops
- Station 1:Biomass Builders with Shulamit Shroder, Climate Smart Agriculture Specialist, UCCEKern County
- Station 2: Pollinator Habitat with Jamie Whiteford,Irrigation Specialist, Ventura County/Cachuma RCD
- Station 3: Low Profile with Oleg Daugovish,Strawberry and Vegetable Crop Advisor, UCCE Ventura County
- Station 4: Mustards and Varieties with Dee Vega,Staff Research Associate, UCCE Ventura County
- Station 5: Compost and Compost Tea with Annemiek Schilder,County Director, UCCE Ventura County
- Station 6: Grant Opportunities and Technical Assistance with Alli Rowe,Climate Smart Agriculture Specialist, UCCE Ventura County
10:45 –11:00 Questions and wrap up
citrus cover crop
You've seen honey bees buzzing past you to reach a good nectar or pollen source. But there's much...
What's in store for this honey bee? It is heading for an Anisodontea sp.'Strybing Beauty.' Image taken in pollinator garden in Vacaville, Calif. (Photo by Kathy Keatley Garvey)