Starter Kit for Trick or Treat So Others Can Eat
Trick Or Treat So Others Can Eat 2016
The Starter Kit includes:
- Door Hangers
- Thank You Note Cards
- Food Drive Cards
Using the Starter Kit
- After you have joined to volunteer with TOTSOCE, read the Volunteer Letter. The letter will outline how TOTSOCE works.
- Next, make copies of the Door Hangers on BRIGHT NEON ORANGE PAPER. (Hint: write your name and collection date on the original copy BEFORE making the orange copies so that you won't have to write it out on each flyer).
- Then make copies of the Thank You Note Cards on BRIGHT NEON ORANGE PAPER. Make sure you always leave a note after making a pick-up to thank your neighbors for their donation!
- The Food Drive Cards are useful if your group is collecting food outside a store or similar venue. These flyers are MS Word documents and have customization fields to thank the store or other sponsors of your food drive.
- Lastly, ensure your collected food donations are at FOOD Share’s warehouse no later than 4:00 p.m. on Friday, November 14th. This ensures we have an accurate tally of all food collected for this community service project.
ONE MORE THING: TAKE PICTURES of your group throughout this activity and post to our TOTSOCE Facebook page. Help us get the word out regarding the youth leadership in Ventura County. You never know what will end up in the newspaper! Be sure to include the names of the participants in the photos.
Tips for those going door-to-door and/or trick-or-treating:
- A few days before collecting, distribute door hangers and flyers in your neighborhood. Be sure to write the date you will return on the door hangers.
- On the designated date, return to collect the cans. Often your neighbors will simply leave a bag or box of donations on their porch with the bright orange flyer attached. This makes it very easy on collection day!
- We strongly encourage volunteers to either wear their uniforms (i.e. girl/boy scout or 4-H attire) or school/service t-shirts. Something to identify your organization, and if you have a name tag, use it.
- We also STRONGLY recommend that any participating youth volunteers go out in groups AND WITH AN ADULT. There is safety in numbers and those cans get very heavy.
- Be sure to take a wagon or have a parent bring their vehicle.
- Lastly, be sure to leave a "Thank You note" (found in the Starter Kit) at each home that donated. It assures donors that you received the donation.
- Please remember to join TOTSOCE before you begin collecting!
If you have further questions, send us an e-mail, we are excited to help you get started.
A big THANK YOU for your participation in Trick Or Treat So Others Can Eat 2016!