UC Cooperative Extension Ventura County
669 County Square Drive Suite 100
Ventura CA 93003
Monday - Thursday: 8 am to 5 pm
Friday: 8 am to noon or by appointment
Becoming a Volunteer
Volunteers are a key part of the
4-H Youth Development Program.
By volunteering, you are helping to
grow the skills of 4-H youth to be future leaders.
Ways you can volunteer
Volunteering is rewarding. Share your expertise and experience with youth and to make things happen!
- Lead a club-provide administrative support for a 4-H club
- Teach a skill-share your expertise with 4-H youth
- State or County committees-help shape 4-H in California!
- Judge projects-spend a day or a few hours evaluating 4-H presentations and competitions
- Help with events-support 4-H'ers as they plan and execute activities and events
Process to become a New
4-H Adult Volunteer
1. Find a Club
See list of clubs to find one near you. Contact the club leader to learn more about the volunteer opportunities available in the club.
2. Screening Process
All new volunteers must go through a screening process. Our #1 priority is to keep youth safe while in our care.
- Complete the 4-H volunteer Interest Survey in English or Spanish
- Create an adult volunteer profile on 4hOnline Enter 4-H Online System
- Complete a California Department of Justice Live Scan background check:
3. New Volunteer Training
All new 4-H volunteers are required to take the New Volunteer Training online courses in the eXtension system before they become approved as volunteers. This interactive training series introduces the best practices in positive youth development that are used in 4-H.
The County Director reviews and approves 4-H volunteer appointments after:
- You are signed up in 4hOnline
- You have passed the screening process
- You complete all the New Volunteer Training courses
- You have submitted fee payment. Please check with your club leader
Once approved, the fun begins....
Thank you for joining 4-H!
Re-enroll annually by July 31
All 4-H volunteers must be appointed annually. If you are a current 4-H Adult Volunteer, you must re-enroll and be re-appointed by to continue with no break in service.
1. Update your 4hOnline profile
Log into 4hOnline to update your profile to enroll for the new year. Please make sure the email address in the system is correct and one you use regularly.
2. Take the Returning Volunteers Training in the online eXtension system
You will receive the login information sent to your Family email after you update and submit your 4hOnline profile application for the new year. If you used a paper enrollment form, you will have to check with the 4-H office for the instructions.
3. Get approved as a 4-H Volunteer
After all the applications requirements and mandatory trainings are completed, the County Director reviews and approves the volunteer appointments.
If you have a break in service
You have a break in service if you are not currently enrolled as a 4-H volunteer when you apply for the new year. Please follow the process for New Volunteers when applying.