UC Cooperative Extension Ventura County
669 County Square Dr. Suite 100
Ventura CA 93003
Our offices are currently closed due to the COVID-19 pandemic, and our team is telecommuting from home. We are available via phone and email.
Click here for our office directory: Contact/Staff Info
Become a 4-H Volunteer
Volunteers are a key part of the
4-H Youth Development Program.
By volunteering, you are helping to
grow the skills of 4-H youth to be future leaders.
Ways you can volunteer
Volunteering is rewarding. Share your expertise and experience with youth and to make things happen!
- Lead a club: provide administrative support for a 4-H club.
- Teach a skill: share your expertise with 4-H youth.
- State or County committees: help shape 4-H in California!
- Judge projects: spend a day or a few hours evaluating 4-H presentations and competitions.
- Help with events: support 4-H'ers as they plan and execute activities and events.
New 4-H Adult Volunteer
1. Find a Club
See list of clubs to find one near you. Contact the club leader to learn more about the volunteer opportunities available in the club.
2. Screening Process
All new volunteers must go through a screening process. Our #1 priority is to keep youth safe while in our care.
- Complete the 4-H volunteer Interest Survey in English or Spanish
- Create an adult volunteer profile on 4hOnline Enter 4-H Online System
- Complete a California Department of Justice Live Scan background check:
4. New Volunteer Training
All new 4-H volunteers are required to take the New Volunteer Training online courses in the eXtension system before they are approved as volunteers. This interactive training series introduces the best practices in positive youth development that are used in 4-H.
The County Director reviews and approves 4-H volunteer appointments after you have:
- passed the screening process
- signed up in 4hOnline
- complete all the New Volunteer Training courses
- submitted fee payment.
Once approved, the fun begins....
Thank you for joining 4-H!
All 4-H volunteers must be appointed annually. Re-enroll annually to avoid a break in service.
1. Update your 4hOnline profile
Log into 4hOnline to update your profile to enroll for the new year. Please make sure the email address in the system is correct and one you use regularly.
3. Complete the Returning Volunteers Training in the online eXtension
You will receive the login information sent to your Family email after you update and submit your 4hOnline profile application for the new year. If you used a paper enrollment form, you will have to check with the 4-H office for the instructions.
4. Get approved as a
After application requirements and mandatory trainings are completed, the County Director reviews and approves volunteer appointments.