State Water Efficiency & Enhancement Program (SWEEP)
SWEEP grants encourage producers to reduce both their water consumption and their greenhouse gas emissions. Successful applications must increase water efficiency and demonstrate the impact that the project will have on emissions. CDFA will award funds up to $100,000 but also encourages applicants to find matching funds.
Eligible practices include:
- Installation of a variable frequency drive
- Pump retrofit or replacement
- Soil moisture sensors
- Electronic weather station linked to irrigation controller
- Use of evapotranspiration (ET) based irrigation scheduling
- Conversion to micro-irrigation or drip irrigation
- Pump conversion from diesel to electric or to renewable energy such as solar
- Conversion to low-pressure irrigation system
How to Apply
The grant process includes a web-based application consisting of a series of questions that can be saved and returned to before submitting: https://www.cdfa.ca.gov/oefi/sweep/
Projects located in 'Severely Disadvantaged Communities' (SDACs) receive priority funding. For more info and to see if you are located in a SDAC, click here.
It is helpful to obtain quotes for projects and schedule a pump efficiency test before starting the application, as you will need them to complete the application. Here is more info about getting a pump test.
Please contact UC Cooperative Extension specialist Alli Rowe at email@example.com for questions or help with the application.